Parenting and Perfection

Self Image.
Do we as women ever put too much pressure on ourselves and others about our looks? I don't deny that it matters to me. But recently we just had our family pictures taken and I am hard on myself and I even asked our photographer to photoshop to his heart's desire. Flatten my tummy, unroll the lumps on my back and tighten my chin. That'd be great. K, thanks.


The pictures turned out amazing, as always. But I of course, only saw all the flaws and things I didn't like about myself. Our photographer was so sweet and offered to change anything that I wanted and man, was I tempted.

Then I thought about my girls.

                                       
 
 I have our pictures taken as memories, that we take at least one moment out of the year to make a point to capture us as a family. So that we can look back and they can trigger the memories and the things that happened that year.


What example am I setting to my girls? If we look back 6 years from now at perfectly photoshopped pictures, that isn't reality. If I am constantly pointing out my flaws or things I don't like about myself how can I teach them not to be hard on themselves and get sucked into this mindset of perfection. If I cannot be accepting of the body I have, the one person they look up to and that they watch day in and day out, I will only make it harder for them.

This has just been on my mind lately. When it breaks my heart to hear my 4yo say she needs makeup to be pretty. When I find myself amidst the holidays feeling stressed about all the holiday food, busy schedules and having everything perfect, I am going (to try) to not let it stress me. Because no matter how hard I try, Perfection isn't Reality.

This is a quote from Ann Voskamp that I have been trying to live by.

"..today is the last like this. This place, this people, this moment-it will never again be just like this. Cause my eyes to see everything in my life afresh. I may not pass by here again. Now is not a forever grace, but amazing grace."
 
 
I want to wish you all a very Merry, (imperfect, un-picturesque) Christmas.
But honestly, I hope you all have a great Christmas, make memories, take pictures and relax.
I'm off to bake Christmas cookies with the kiddos.

Comments

Popular Posts